Getting up and down from the toilet can get more challenging as we age and also if we have a disability. However, there are some tools that can make this challenge a lot easier, for example, elevated toilet seats. Elevated toilet seats raise the height of the toilet to make it easier for a person to sit down and stand up. There are also shower wheelchairs that can not only be used to transport the person from bedroom to bathroom but can also be used as a seat in the shower and also rolled over the toilet bowl. What’s more, there are some regular shower chairs that can be placed in the shower or bathtub for more comfortable bathing and also over the toilet bowl to make the toilet higher.
However, in this article I will be reviewing toilet chairs / commodes. These specially designed chairs can be used as bedside toilets or can also be placed over the toilet bowl for easier use.
This page contains affiliate links. We hope you love the products we recommend but just so you know, if you purchase a product from one of our links below, we may receive a small commission. Details here.
Quick Links to Info on this Page
- 1 My Top Toilet Chairs For Disabled And Elderly People
- 2 Best Amazon Seller Bedside Folding Toilet Chair
- 3 Best Heavy Duty Toilet Chair For Heavy Disabled & Elderly People Weight Capacity : 1000 lbs
- 4 Best Heavy Duty Disability Bariatric Folding Toilet Chair For Disabled And Elderly People Weight Capacity : 650 lbs
- 5 Best Padded Toilet Chair For Elderly People And People With A Disability
- 6 Best Toilet Chair For the Disabled and Elderly Video – How To Use A Commode Chair
My Top Toilet Chairs For Disabled And Elderly People
Best Amazon Seller Bedside Folding Toilet Chair
Drive Medical Folding Bedside Commode Seat with Commode Bucket and Splash Guard –
Although this Drive Medical Toilet Chair is advertised as a bedside commode, it can also be used as an effective toilet seat riser. I am not surprised that this product is one of the best sellers on Amazon because when I compared it to another leading brand, which pretty much had the exact same features, this Drive Medical toilet chair was a lot cheaper.
This may me a bargain buy but it is still a solid and sturdy toilet chair with a weight capacity of 350 lbs. Many reviewers commented that it is easy to assemble and I really like that you can fold it up and neatly store it away when you are not using it.
Standing up and down from the toilet can be painful or very difficult for some, so having a higher toilet can make it a lot easier. The highest height setting is 21.5″ inches which is a good height, however, if you are very tall, then you may still have trouble sitting down on this chair.
The toilet chair comes with a 7.5 qt bucket that can be placed under the toilet seat, so the chair can be used as a bedside toilet, ideal for elderly or disabled people having difficulty getting to the bathroom. It is also easy to clean.
This toilet chair passed the test for many satisfied customers on Amazon, customers that had leg surgery, including knee replacement surgery.
If you are looking for a great quality, portable, strong toilet chair that can be used as a commode or in the bathroom, then the Drive Medical Folding Steel Frame Toilet Chair is a great option for you.
- Easily opens and folds flat. Portable and great for storage
- Can be used bedside or over the toilet bowl
- Durable plastic snap-on seat and lid installs without pushing buttons
- Grey powder coated steel welded construction for added strength and durability
- Comes with a 7.5 qt commode bucket with carry handle and also a cover and splash shield
- Seat Dimensions: 14.5″(D) x 13″(W) x 15.75-21.5″(H)
- Outside Legs : 22.25″(W)
- Width Between Arms: 18″
- Weight Capacity: 350 lbs
Best Heavy Duty Toilet Chair For Heavy Disabled & Elderly People Weight Capacity : 1000 lbs
Drive Medical Deluxe Bariatric Drop-Arm Commode –
This Drive Medical Deluxe Bariatric Drop-Arm Commode is a larger heavy duty version of the toilet chair above. It is designed for the heavier individual and has a weight capacity of 1000 lbs.
Comparing this toilet chair to the Drive Medical chair above, you can see that this toilet chair has a width of 25.75″ between the arms, compared to 18″ in the regular Drive Medical toilet chair. This chair is clearly made for a disabled person that needs extra width to comfortably sit down. If you think that you might not squeeze into a regular sized toilet chair, then this chair may be more suitable for you.
Another nice feature is the easy to release armrests that allows for easy and safe lateral transfer on and off the seat. This feature is great for disabled people that use a wheelchair.
Finally, the backrest is a nice feature to make sitting on the toilet chair not only more comfortable but also adds that sense of safety and stability when on the chair.
If you need an extra wide, heavy duty toilet chair with a great weight limit, then the Drive Medical Deluxe Bariatric Drop-Arm Commode would be an excellent toilet chair for you.
- Easy-to-release arm mechanism allows for safe lateral transfers to and from the toilet chair
- Comfortable backrest for added safety and stability
- Large, durable snap-on seat
- Pail easily slides in from the front of the commode
- 12 qt commode bucket and cover that removes from behind
- Overall Dimensions: 21″(L) x 26.25″(W) x 33″(H)
- Seat Dimensions: 18.5″(D) x 23.25″(W) x 17.5″-22″(H)
- Width Between Arms: 25.75″
- Weight Capacity: 1000 lbs
Best Heavy Duty Disability Bariatric Folding Toilet Chair For Disabled And Elderly People Weight Capacity : 650 lbs
Drive Medical Heavy Duty Bariatric Folding Commode –
As you can see, Drive Medical provide a very good variety of toilet chairs, catering to the needs of all weight limits. This folding commode has a weight limit of 650 lbs. It is portable and can be folded up for transport and easy storage.
Its width between the armrests is 24″ which gives plenty of room for the wider individual. The maximum height of the seat is 22″.
Comparing this one to the 1000 lbs toilet chair above, there is no board across the seat and you cannot move the armrests on this one.
If you would like to see further details and reviews on the Drive Medical Heavy Duty Bariatric Folding Commode, then follow this link.
- Tool-free easily assembled in 3 simple steps
- Easily opens and folds for storage and transportation
- Durable plastic 16 1/2″ deep snap-on seat with lid
- 12 qt commode bucket with carry handle, cover and splash shield
- Overall Dimensions: 18″(L) x 31.75″(W) x 15.5″(H)
- Seat Dimensions: 16.5″(D) x 13.5″(W) x 15.5-22″(H)
- Width Between Arms: 24″
- Weight Capacity: 650 lbs
Best Padded Toilet Chair For Elderly People And People With A Disability
Medline Drop Arm Commode –
I noticed that all the reviews above had hard plastic seats, so I decided to find one padded toilet chair to review, as well. How does the Medline padded toilet chair compare to the Drive Medical toilet chairs?
Well, the weight limit of this chair is 300 lbs, which is less than all the other ones. It has a maximum seat height of 23.25″, which is excellent and the highest of all the reviews. The padded seat adds that extra bit of height. The seat width between the arms is 18.5″, which is around average width and may not be the most suitable for wide individuals.
The drop down arms are a nice feature to make easier transfers from wheelchair to the chair or from the bed to the chair.
Overall, the Medline Drop Arm Commode is a good quality toilet chair and compares well to the Drive Medical toilet chairs, except for width and weight capacity.
If you are under 300 lbs and would like a padded toilet chair, then I believe the Medline Drop Arm Commode is a great option for you.
- Great for transfers from wheelchair to toilet chair
- Place near the bed with near arm down for disabled or elderly person transferring during the night
- Comes standard with pail, lids and splash guard
- Thick, resilient and foam padded seat and back provide added comfort
- Seat height : 18.25″ – 23.25″
- Seat depth : 18″ – 20″
- Width between arms : 18.5″
- Overall width : 22″
- Weight capacity : 300 lbs